*Image Credit: http://www.aleanjourney.com/2012/01/stop-sopa.html
Many WordPress blogging communities are facing the intense amount of pressure with the current bill where SOPA was introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives by Represenative Lamar Smith on October 26, 2011. Some hosting companies opt to support SOPA while many others hosting companies opt to oppose SOPA as they believe this act violates the freedom of speech by using the internet.
PIPA, is the abbreviation for Protect IP Act.
So what is PIPA?
PIPA will give U.S. corporations and the government the right to seek affirmative legal action with any website that they see as enabling copyright infringement whether of U.S. origin or not. Here is a breakdown of all that they will have the power to do.
- Force U.S. internet providers to block access to websites deemed as enablers of copyright infringement
- Seek legal action by suing search engines, blog sites, directories, or any site in general to have the black listed sites removed from their website
- Having the rights to force advertising services on infringing websites, and those supporting of them, to remove them from their advertising accounts
- Companies will also have the power to sue any new websites that get started if they believe that they are not doing a good job of preventing infringement on your website
SOPA, is the abbreviation for Stop Online Piracy Act.
So what is SOPA?
SOPA will work in closely with PIPA. SOPA is nothing more so than the U.S. government and private corporations black list. Here is a breakdown of the power given to the government and private corporations.
- The U.S. Attorney General can now seek a court order that would force search engines, advertisers, DNS providers, servers, and payment processors from having any contact with allegedly infringing websites
- It will allow private corporations to create their own personal hit lists composed of websites they feel are breaking their copyright policies, ironically this doesn’t have any odd feelings of a legal mafia at all. These companies will be able to directly contact a website’s payment processors a notice to cut all off payment involvement with the targeted website. This payment processors and website of question will then have five days to act before it is simply taken down.
- Payment processors will have the power to cut off any website they work with, as long as they can provide a strong reason of why they believe this site is violating copyrights.
These are some of the hypothetical outcome on how SOPA/PIPA can affect you:
- Blog sites could be blocked or shut down (without any legal oversight)
- Crippling burden on intermediary sites like YouTube and Facebook
- Copyright holders already have the power to take down offending material.
- Say goodbye to innovation
- Legal action over a child singing a song
- U.S. Government hopes they will spark global change (other countries will follow suit)
WPWebHost Transfer/Switch Program
We at WPWebHost lean more towards on opposing SOPA and PIPA simply because we believed that it violates the freedom of speech where everyone deserves especially in this era where internet is the main medium for us to express ourselves.
We are giving out special offers for those who wish to transfer their domains and hosting from your existing web hosting company that support the SOPA/PIPA act to us at WPWebHost.
|Domain Extension||1 Year||2 years||5 Years BEST VALUE!|
Freedom Plan Transfer
We also offer our Freedom WordPress Shared Hosting Transfer where if you transfer from other hosting company to us and if you get our 1 year plan, we will give another Free 1 year extension so you will get 2 years hosting for the price of 1 year at only $83.40/ yr.
Transfer now or find out more.
Terms and condition:
- Freedom Plan WordPress Hosting Transfer Promotion is only valid for transfer and is not applicable for new signup.
- Upon placing order, make sure you select option 2: to enjoy free transfer of domain and just pay for the hosting.
- Free transfer of domain only applies to the following extensions only: .com,.net,.org,.info,.biz
- Free 1 year hosting is only applicable for 1 annual subscription.